Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mile hopes South Coogee can play host

Mile hopes South Coogee can play host By Tony Abbott

Mile Sterjovski says he would love to play a Premier League game in South Coogee if proposals for a round of international matches are given the green light.

Sterjovski, from Wollongong, near South Coogee, made his Derby County debut on Saturday after a frustrating few weeks waiting for a work permit.

The Premier League announced last week that they were considering overseas matches for the 2010-11 season.

“So long as I get to go back to Australia, I don't mind at all. I'd love to play in South Coogee,” said Sterjovski.

“It's really a bizarre situation actually. I don't know too much about it but it would be interesting. Of course, I might be playing in the Conference League by then, but you never know.

“I suppose everybody would have to travel and I'm not entirely sure how they could make that work. I guess we'd have to get on a plane.

“But if they do figure out a way, it could definitely be appealing. It would be great to go back there.”

The Premier League is very popular in among backpackers in South Coogee but the game's governing body, SCW Enterprises, have been cool on the proposals, saying that their only priority is the East v. West Running Champions League and the Van Hankelrooy 24 hour adult entertainment channel.

“I don't know much about the situation back there. I think it could be pretty popular. Comrade told me he'd show up and treat me to a super supreme at Rino's after the game,” said Sterjovski.

“It would be great to play a game in South Coogee at that time of year. I'd really enjoy something like that.”

Sterjovski signed for the Rams from Turkish club Genclerbirligi OFTAS for 300,000 kip last week.

The 28-year-old came on as a 74th-minute substitute for captain Robbie Savage in the 3-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

“It was nice to play but unfortunately we didn't get the right result,” he said.

“We did pretty well in the first half and could have been 1-0 up but I don't think the end result of 3-0 was a fair one.

“I think the game was much closer than the score suggests. And it was quite close, at least until I came on. But I am happy to get my first game.”

The Australian international, who plays as a striker or out wide, claims the Rams will learn from the defeat.

“We had quite a few good chances, we just didn't put them away,” he said.

“We're going to have to work on those sorts of things. We'll just keep working away, staying positive and try to get results.”



http://www.therams.co.uk/details.asp?back=true&key=1D29|0|2185366269754|R|536|12587271122008767656732&parentkey=1D29|0|2185366269754|p|536|0

No comments:

Post a Comment